Passengers at King’s Cross station said they were “appalled”, “disgusted” and “not happy” after being stranded in London during a nationwide power cut.
The station was shut as a power cut in Friday’s evening rush hour brought much of the UK’s rail network to a stop.
Nearly a million people across the UK were affected when two power stations went down.
Regulators demanded action as National Grid pledged it would “learn the lessons” of Friday’s events.
There were mainly two kinds of passengers at King’s Cross on Saturday morning – those who had just arrived to get a train and those who had returned after a night of waiting, hoping and giving up.
Leigh Russell, 45, and her son Fenn belong to the latter group.
‘Appalled and disgusted’
The pair had come to London for a football freestyle competition but resorted to booking a hotel after waiting for updates at King Cross Station for several hours.
“There was no information, no communication, no announcements on the tannoy, no representative or help from Hull Trains, who we booked with,” she said.
“I am appalled and disgusted at the service.”
Hull Trains said it had one of its representatives at King’s Cross who “worked long into the night to help more than 20 Hull Trains customers… to get on a LNER service much later into the evening”.
It also said it provided updates to customers via social media, on its “website, Journey Check and at stations”.
Some train services continued to be disrupted on Saturday morning.
London North Eastern Railway, which runs services between King’s Cross and the north of England and Scotland, cancelled some services.
Thameslink and Great Northern said a number of trains did not end up in their correct location on Friday because of the disruption and problems had continued throughout Saturday morning.
Samantha Dagnall, 40, who had taken her son James to visit museums in London for the day, was also waiting for a train on Saturday morning after an unexpected overnight stay.
“I’m not happy. We didn’t sleep well and got here at 06:00 BST hoping to get an earlier train, but that was three hours ago.”
While some people calmly reflected on the past 24 hours, others appeared tense and focussed on the departure board.
The concourse gradually filled up with people willing their trains not to be cancelled, and there was a big rush periodically as soon as platforms were announced.
Amy Dickinson, 28, and Tim Meredith, 26, had their train home to Peterborough cancelled on Friday night.
“I suffer from chronic fatigue syndrome so standing around and waiting would not have been possible due to fatigue and pain, which is why we decided to get a hotel,” Ms Dickinson said.
The couple eventually arrived in Peterborough by about 10:00 BST, which they said was 14 hours after they had planned.
Alfred Thompson, 81, also travelled to London for a visit to the Royal Academy, but stayed in a hotel for £150 for the night.
“It’s turned out to be a more expensive visit than expected,” he said.
Philip McKechnie, had been due to go to Middlesbrough on Saturday morning for a wedding, but his train was cancelled.
Mr McKechnie said: “I was cutting it a bit fine already, so I don’t know if I’ll be able to meet the person who has agreed to pick me up [at Middlesbrough].”
The 28-year-old trade analyst said he had flown in for the wedding from Singapore on Friday, where he lives.
“I’ve come from such a long way and this is the first part of the journey that is going wrong,” he said.
He said a 30-minute train delay “would be front page news in Singapore”.